Saturday, February 14, 2009

Back on the road


So its been 8 years since I worked in an ambulance. Im getting mentored back into the job and Im feeling a mixture of excitement and dread at the mere thought of going out on my first job.

Luckily I have an awesome crew to mentor me back into the flow of things.

Geared up and ready to go there was not even time to check the vehicle off before our first job comes down the pager.

Fear grips me. I was counting on the vehicle check to re-familiarise myself with where everything was in the vehicle. I dont even know how the new stretcher works.

I kindly decline the offer to take the first drive. It's night time and I didnt think it would be such a good idea for my first drive in the Merc in 8 years to be a priority one job.

Riding 3rd person up I climb in the back. The job is an R4 car v cyclist so on goes the reflector jerkin and gloves. Im asked if I want to do this job. I want to but again fear grips me...its been a while since I practised. I tell my mentor I will just shadow her for this job.

The patient thankfully only has minor injuries and we whisk her off to hospital. That wasn't so bad. My confidence is building. I reassure myself that it's just like old times.

We call clear and its another P1. My drive. Cool. Off we go. Shit how do you work the new light/siren controller? And how do I program the Navman? And where are the wiper controls? We have a laugh as they give me the low down while I'm pulling out of the ambulance bay.

The drive was actually enjoyable and we end up doing another 3 jobs in a row. All minor medicals. We laugh and joke our way through the shift. By the end I'm fully enjoying myself. It feels good to be back on the road. I just hope tomorrow night goes just as smoothly.

No comments: